Eliminating Drivers Responsibility Fees: Earlier this month I was proud to support a bipartisan package of bills to put an end to drivers responsibility fees and forgive the outstanding debt. The fees resulted from legislation passed by a previous administration in 2003 when Governor Granholm was scrambling to fill a hole in the state budget. Instead of budgeting responsibly, the Legislature established the burdensome fees that have left many Michiganders at or near the poverty level.
These fees do not make anyone a better driver. They simply force people to live under a cloud of debt relying heavily on public assistance. It is a law that should have never been enacted. Under the new legislation, the fees will end on October 1, 2018 and all outstanding debt will be forgiven. The bills now go to the Senate for consideration.
I hold coffee hours on the third Monday of every month. This month, my coffee hours will be held on Monday, November 20, 2017 from 7:00-9:00 am at Two Brothers Coffee and Brew in downtown Brighton. Residents of the 42nd district are welcome to stop by and discuss any questions or concerns they have regarding state level issues. For those unable to attend coffee hours; however, have questions or concerns they would like to share with me please call my office at (517) 373-1784 or email me at LanaTheis@house.mi.gov.
Booklets Available Upon Request
Many residents do not know that my office has free publications available for them upon request. Residents can contact my office at (517) 373-1784 or email me at LanaTheis@house.mi.gov to request a copy of:
- 2017 Citizens Guide to State Government
- Changes and Choices for Senior Citizens
- Child Safety – A Children’s Coloring Book
- Consumer Protection Guide
- Friend of Court Guidebook
- Getting to Know Michigan – A Children’s Coloring Book
- The Student’s Guide to the Legislative Process
- Michigan Constitution
- Michigan in the American Civil War
- Planning for Your Peace of Mine – A Guide for Seniors
- Portraits of Michigan – History and Facts on Michigan
- Services for Seniors
- Tenants and Landlords Guidebook
- Veterans Benefits and Services
- Your Child – A Guide to your Child’s Health and Safety